Failing to meet people’s mental health causes human suffering and societal costs. While the provincial and federal governments are in charge of providing medical care, many municipal decisions can affect mental health, for better or for worse:
- Neighbourhoods with green space promote mental health. [See Green Space, Parks, and Community Access to Nature.]
- Walkable neighbourhoods and active spaces promote exercise, which supports mental health [See: Real Neighbourhoods, Active Space and Athletics.]
- Affordable housing and homelessness solutions supports mental health [See: Affordable Housing, Homelessness.]
- Poverty reduction supports mental health [See: Poverty reduction].
- Inclusion supports mental health [See: Inclusion].
- Accessibility makes it easier for people to participate in their community, which support mental health [See: Accessibility].